Thursday, June 16, 2011

We don't need no stinking basement door!

File this one under "It's My House and I Can Do Whatever I Want!"  Because I am five.

Our house came with a Dutch door at the top of the basement stairs instead of the regular variety.


At first glance, we kind of thought, "Oh cool!  A door that can be closed and open at the same time!  YAY HOUSE!!"  Needless to say we were not really thinking rationally about it. As we moved in all our stuff, it quickly became apparent that the door was actually pretty annoying.


You see where it stands against the wall there?  It is rather inconveniently blocking access to the hall lightswitch and the thermostat.  Also, I regularly bump into the door handle as I stagger around at dark o'clock trying to leave for work, and that sort of got old really fast.  And since we never close the door on account of the cats' litterbox being in the basement, there was really no need for the door to even exist.

For whatever reason, even though my husband and I both agreed the door was a nuisance, we hadn't taken it down, even though taking off a door would be much simpler than some of the other home improvement projects we had already tackled (see project "Hello horrible giant shrubs, meet our new friend Mr. Chainsaw!" and also, "Let's move this twenty-foot long railroad tie!  It only weighs 5,639 pounds!"). Tuesday, however, I arrived home to discover that my husband had installed our new dishwasher while I was at work (sneaky!!), so, not to be outdone in home improving, I took down the door.  Then I took it out to the garage to meet its new friends, the closet doors from the master bedroom (which didn't even make it through the first night we were in the house.  Doors just don't stand a chance in this house.).




Much better!  Except for the really obvious holes in the door frame.  Just pretend I very cleverly covered those to seamlessly blend in with our blonde wood trim.  Yeah... just picture it... just like that... doesn't it look great?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment